Dog Insurance
Dogs for sale
Pet Supplies
How to draw a dog
Join Our Dog Forum FREE!
Dog Clothes
Dog Supplies
Dog Forum
Dog Health
Dog Articles
Dog Posters
2010 Dog Calendars
Dog Cages
Portable Dog Crates
Electronic Dog Doors
Dog Kennels
Small Dog Clothes
Slow Cooker Recipes
Dog Leads
Pet Travel Guide
Toy Dogs Guide
Dog Supplements
Dog Medicine info
Dog Allergies
Dog Portraits
Dog Resources

Common Indoor Plants Poisonous to Dogs

In assessing the risk to your dog from these plants, you need to consider both the age of your dog and it's propensity to chew on plants. Many of the below toxic plants rarely cause problems because most dogs don't chew them -- the exceptions being, of course, young puppies who are inclined to explore the world with their mouths, teething dogs who may chew on everything, and older dogs that are simply fond of chewing. Oleander, for example, is rather toxic, but most cases of poisoning involve 1) cattle, other grazing livestock 2) puppies and 3) human babies/toddlers.

Dumb cane is probably the one plant that should always be kept out of reach, since it takes only one nibble to have a potentially fatal situation. (from Carlson & Giffin.)

  • That give rash after contact with the skin or mouth: (mums might produce dermatitis) chrysanthemum poinsettia creeping fig weeping fig spider mum pot mum
  • Irritating (toxic oxalates), especially the mouth gets swollen; tongue pain; sore lips; some swell so quickly a tracheotomy is needed before asphyxiation: arrowhead vine majesty boston ivy neththytis ivy colodium pathos emerald duke red princess heart leaf (philodendron) split leaf (philodendron) saddle leaf (philodendron) marble queen
  • Toxic plants - may contain wide variety of poisons. Most cause vomiting, abdominal pain, cramps. Some cause tremors, heart and respiratory and/or kidney problems, which are difficult for owner to interpret: amaryllis elephant ears pot mum asparagus fern glocal ivy ripple ivy azalea heart ivy spider mum bird of paradise ivy sprangeri fern creeping charlie jerusalem cherry umbrella plant crown of thorns needlepoint ivy
  • Here are more miscellaneous plants that we found on other lists. The reactions to these plants are unknown, but they are considered dangerous and should be avoided.

    Monkshod Andromeda English Ivy Apple seeds (cyanide) Elderberry Narcissus (bulb) Arrowgrass Avocado Oleander Hyacinth (bulb) Boxwood Hydrangea Poison Ivy Iris (bulb) Cladium Japanese Yew Rhododendron Jasmine (berries) Rhubarb Cherry Pits (cyanide) Snow on the Mountain Chokecherry Stinging Nettle Climbing Lilly Laburnum Toadstool Tobacco Laurel Tulip (bulb) Daphne Walnut Marigold Wisteria Dieffenbachia Yes Mistletoe

    Common Outdoor Plants Poisonous to Dogs

    (from Carlson & Giffin.)

  • Produce vomiting and diarrhea in some cases: delphinium poke weed indian tobacco daffodil bittersweet woody wisteria castor bean ground cherry soap berry indian turnip fox glove skunk cabbage larkspur
  • May produce vomiting, abdominal pain, and in some cases diarrhea horse chestnut buckeye western yew apricot, almond rain tree monkey pod english holly peach, cherry privet wild cherry mock orange japanese plum american yew bird of paradise balsam pear english yew black locust
  • Varied toxic effect rhubarb buttercup moonseed spinach nightshade may apple sunburned potatoes poison hemlock dutchman's breeches tomato vine jimson weed mescal bean loco weed pig weed angel's trumpet lupine water hemlock jasmine dologeton mushrooms matrimony vine dumb cane
  • Hallucinogens marijuana periwinkle morning glory peyote nutmeg loco weed
  • Convulsions china berry nux vomica coriaria water hemlock moon weed
  • Poisonous Household Items

    Acetaminophen Laxatives AntiFreeze Lead Aspirin Lye Bleach Matches Boric Acid Metal Polish Brake Fluid Mineral Spirits Carbon Monoxide Mothballs Carbuerator Cleaner Nail Polish and Remover Christmas Tinsel Paint & Remover Cleaning Fluid Perm Solutions Deoderants/Deoderizers Phenol Detergents Photo Developer Disinfectants Rat Poison Drain Cleaner Rubbing Alcohol Dye Shoe Polish Fungicides Sleeping Pills Furniture Polish Soaps Gasoline Suntan Lotions Hair Colorings Tar Herbicides Turpentine Insecticides Windshield Fluid Kerosene Woodstains

    Poisonous Foods for Your Dog

    It is not chocolate itself that is poisonous to dogs, it is the theobromine, a naturally occuring compound found in chocolate. Theobromine causes different reactions to different dogs: dogs with health problems, especially epilepsy, are more affected by theobromine than healthy dogs. Theobromine can trigger epileptic seizures in dogs prone to or at risk of epilepsy. The size of the dog will also be a major factor: the smaller the dog, the more affected it is by the same amount than a larger dog. Therefore, toxicity is described on a mg/Kg basis.

    Furthermore, theobromine can cause cardiac irregularity, especially if the dog becomes excited. Cardiac arythmia can precipitate a myocardial infarct which can kill the dog.

    Theobromine also irritates the GI tract and in some dogs can cause internal bleeding which in some cases kills them a day or so later.

    Theobromine is also present in differing amounts in different kinds of chocolate. milk chocolate has 44-66 mg/oz, dark chocolate 450 mg/oz and baking/bitter chocolate or cocoa powder varies as much as 150-600 mg/oz. How much chocolate a dog can survive depends on its weight (and other unknown circumstances). Under 200 mg theobromine per kg body weight no deaths have been observed.

    Theobromine will stay in the bloodstream between 14 and 20 hours. It goes back into the bloodstream through the stomach lining and takes a long time for the liver to filter out.

    Within two hours of ingestion, try inducing vomiting unless your dog is markedly stimulated, comatose, or has lost the gag reflex. If your dog has eaten a considerable amount of chocolate, or displays any of the above symptoms, take it to the vet without delay.

    In the absence of major symptoms, administer activated charcoal. The unabsorbed theobromine will chemically bond to this and be eliminated in the feces. In pinch, burnt (as in thoroughly burnt, crumbling in hand) toast will do.

    Grapes and Raisins
    Grapes and Raisins have been found to be toxic to dogs. Acute renal(kidney) failure is the most common result.

    Walnuts are poisonous to dogs and should be avoided. Many nuts are not good for dogs in general, their high phosporous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones.

    Misc: Onions, especially raw onions, have been shown to trigger hemolytic anemia in dogs. (Stephen J Ettinger, D.V.M and Edward C. Fieldman, D.V.M. 's book: Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine vol. 2 pg 1884.)

    Potato poisonings among people and dogs have occurred. Solanum alkaloids can be found in green sprouts and green potato skins, which occurs when the tubers are exposed to sunlight during growth or after harvest. The relatively rare occurrence of actual poisoning is due to several factors: solanine is poorly absorbed; it is mostly hydrolyzed into less toxic solanidinel; and the metabolites are quickly eliminated. Note that cooked, mashed potatoes are fine for dogs, actually quite nutritious and digestible.

    Turkey skin is currently thought to cause acute pancreatis in dogs. Thanks to for this great information!